The USDA Forest Service is currently taking comments on a plan to relocate approximately 32 miles of the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail (CDNST) by moving the route from Forest Service roads onto newly built singletrack. This presents an incredible opportunity to enhance mountain biking opportunities in the Gunnison area.
Unfortunately, the current “preferred alternative” plan would not allow bicycles on the new singletrack.
Please join Gunnison Trails, The Crested Butte Mountain Bike Association (CBMBA) and The International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA) in recommending a more bike-friendly solution. We are gathering comments in support of “Alternative 3” an option that the Forest Service is considering and which would allow bicycles on the new singletrack.
Take Action! Let the forest service know why backcountry bicycling experiences on singletrack are important to you.
Some of the key points you might include in your comments (or an email to: email@example.com) to the US Forest Service might include any one or more of the following:
- The preference of Alternative 3.
- The current route is not a high-quality backcountry bicycling experience because it is limited to dirt roads.
- Backcountry bicycling is a highly valued experience and is perfectly suited for this segment of the CDNST.
- Mountain bikers bring valuable partnerships for trail design, building and maintenance as well as trail patrols that can offer assistance to other trail users.
- This area is lightly used by all modes of recreation, so there is little chance of conflict between user groups. The mountain bikers who are on trails such as the proposed CDT/CT segment are looking for a quiet experience and are generally very considerate users.
- mountain bikes are light and human powered, so create very little damage to trails, especially in small numbers, ie the remote location of this proposed segment.Deadline Extended! Last day to comment is now, Dec. 17.
Email comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail comments to:
2250 Hwy 50
Delta, CO 81416
Fax comments to: 970-874-6698
Further Information: For more information regarding this project please contact Jeff Burch at the US Forest Service, 970-874-6649. Or,
Dave Wiens at Gunnison Trails, 970-275-0485