In the summer of 2016, Gunnison Trails launched their inaugural Youth Trail Crew. While Gunnison Trails remains committed to trail building and maintenance using our incredible volunteers, we realized there was a backlog of work our volunteer efforts couldn’t address. Wouldn’t it be great to provide local youth with rewarding summertime employment; spending their days out in the field working on our amazing network of trails throughout the Gunnison Valley? Thus the GT Youth Trail Crew was born.
Our Youth Trail Crew is comprised of a trail crew leader and two crew members. These guys and gals work for 10 weeks, starting at the beginning of June and working through mid-August. Working Monday-Thursday for 10 hours each day, the work week is long but rewarding. And each week brings something different. In 2017, our trail crew performed regular maintenance at Hartman Rocks, worked a stretch of the Colorado Trail, headed up-valley to work alongside CBMBA, and completed work on Agate Creek trail along the Continental Divide.
- 2016 Crew – Tim Kugler, Tristan Spezze, Ian Turner, Sebastian Infantes, Camille Sjoquist
- 2017 Crew – Caleb Mueller, Teo Bradbury, Sully Marshall
If this sounds like your cup of tea, contact us for more information.
Our Youth Trail Crew wouldn’t be possible without the generous contributions from our financial partners:
- City of Gunnison
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife
- Colorado Water Conservation Board
- Community Foundation of the Gunnison Valley
- Gunnison Rotary Club
- Gunnison Car Club
- Rose Community Foundation, the WE4Smith Foundation, Wayne and Erica Smith
- Western State Colorado University