In the summer of 2016, Gunnison Trails launched their inaugural Trail Crew. While Gunnison Trails remains committed to trail building and maintenance using our incredible volunteers, we realized there was a backlog of work our volunteer efforts couldn’t address. Wouldn’t it be great to provide local youth with rewarding summertime employment; spending their days out in the field working on our amazing network of trails throughout the Gunnison Valley? Thus the GT Trail Crew was born.
Our Trail Crew is comprised of a trail crew leader and two crew members. These guys and gals work for 20 weeks, starting at the beginning of June and working through October. Working Monday-Thursday for 10 hours each day, the work week is long but rewarding. And each week brings something different. In 2018, our trail crew performed regular maintenance at Hartman Rocks, maintained section 17.2 of the Colorado Trail, built sustainable reroutes and maintained Doctor Park, Little Mill Creek, Agate Creek, Block and Tackle, Bear Creek, South Baldy, and the Monarch Crest trails, as well as working on trails in the West Elk Wilderness and in Taylor Park. We partnered with the San Isabel National Forest, Rio Grande National Forest, the Colorado Trail Foundation, Western Colorado University, Leave No Trace, and our local BLM and USFS. In the fall, we partnered with Western Colorado University students and the Western Mountain Sports Team to build three miles of new trail in the Signal Peak area.
- 2019 Crew – Cosmo Langsfeld, Matt Steinwand, James Ruggiero
- 2018 Crew – Cosmo Langsfeld, Teo Bradbury, Sully Marshall
- 2017 Crew – Teo Bradbury, Caleb Mueller, Sully Marshall
- 2016 Crew – Tim Kugler, Tristan Spezze, Ian Turner, Sebastian Infantes, Camille Sjoquist
If this sounds like your cup of tea, contact us for more information.
Our Trail Crew wouldn’t be possible without the generous contributions from our financial partners:
- City of Gunnison Public Service Grant Program
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife
- Colorado Water Conservation Board
- Community Foundation of the Gunnison Valley
- Gunnison Rotary Club
- Gunnison Car Club
- Rose Community Foundation, the WE4Smith Foundation, Wayne and Erica Smith
- Western Colorado University
- Gunnison County Metropolitan Recreation District
- Gunnison-Crested Butte Tourism Association
- Gunnison County
- Extreme Terrain Clean Trail Initiative